Sunday, December 14, 2008

Life Application from Rays


While I was visiting and in awe of all God's creation at the Virginia Beach Aquarium, I came upon a "pool" full of these rays and people actually had their hands in the water to touch them! So I eased over to the side of the "pool" and asked my friend if it was really safe to touch these creatures. She said yes and all that I had to do was put my hand in the water and they would swim to me. So then, since I new it was safe, I got excited about the possibility of touching one and put my hand in the water. After a little while, one swam up to me and as soon as it got close to my hand, I yanked my hand out really fast! My friend asked what I did that for, the ray wanted me to pet it. I said that I got scared. She told me to not do that again and just touch it! So, I pulled together all the courage I had and told myself to just do it. Now I was confident, and what do you think happened, but as soon as another one came up to me I pulled my hand out again! My friend then told me that they enjoy being touched and just leave my hand in there. Okay, now I was determined. Especially knowing that they wanted me to touch them. So I put my hand in the water and as soon as a ray swam under my hand I touched it! What an amazing feeling! I actually loved it! The skin was a bit slimey and squishy. It was very neat feeling. Then I was pumped! I wanted to touch some more rays, but then it was time to move on so I didn't get the chance. If only I had been brave in the beginning I could have touched more!
The same is true when telling people about Jesus and sharing Christ with others. I want to do it, but often when God provides an opportunity I shy away. Then I get all prepared for the next encounter, and when it happens I shy away. Finally I just take a leap and follow God's leading and get to share Christ with someone else. Then I'm elated and wonder why I was ever hesitant in the first place. Also, just like the rays, God will send people to me. I cannot force anyone to want to talk and listen to me, but God will lead them to me. I just have to make myself available and willing to share the hope that I have with them.
Colossians 4:5-6 "Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."


No comments: